[dba-VB] New server doesn't get domain name resolution

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Thu Sep 30 11:49:57 CDT 2010

I built a new server last night and installed Windows 2003.  I was on the internet, I installed
about 90 updates to Server 2003.

Today I can ping ip addresses but I cannot ping the domain name, iow Google is 66.249.92.104.  In
Firefox (or in ping) I can see that number but I cannot see Google.com.

I have told the local area connections / tcp/ip properties to use 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2 as my DNS
server but for some reason the translation request doesn't seem to leave my LAN.  My router is what
does my local DNS and I can directly ping another computer in my network by name, but I can't ping
out to the internet by name.  Just for the newest server though.

Is there some way to tell my router that my new server exists and it needs this stuff.