[dba-VB] vb.net vs c#.net

Salakhetdinov Shamil mcp2004 at mail.ru
Thu Dec 1 03:05:36 CST 2011

Hi David --

I do use C#.

I have made one large VB.NET training project when transitioning to .NET development but after that (that was VS2003?) I have switched to C# development and I'm using it today...

As David noted C# syntax is close to Java and I used to port some Java code to C# when there was no C# samples available. That was easy. But that "syntactical closeness" wasn't my main reason to use primarily C# in .NET development.

BTW, when you're getting fluent with C# then using VB.NET and VBA becomes an issue (at least for me and that happens after 10+ years of using VBA/VB6 in development) - I mean being "bilingual" C# and VB.NET requires IMO constant everyday usage of both languages, if you'll just use one of them then using another would result in some coding slow down - several days until you'll get on speed again....

I personally do not see any reasons to be bilingual C# and VB.NET in real life projects development...

And getting fluent with C# would let you to try to get on speed  with C++(/CLI) development, which together with WinRT promise to be one of the main development languages on Windows Phone/Windows Metro Style "development arena"...

Thank you.

-- Shamil