[dba-VB] VSN right click isn't working

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Sat Dec 3 21:39:42 CST 2011

I use VSN with right click context stuff to check in and out some DLLs such as NLog which are
referenced by my projects but are not stuff that I can directly open in VS and use that to do the
checkin.  The problem is that while the right click menu works on my systems at the office, at my
client they cause Windows Explorer to crash, as in close and explorer reopens a few seconds later.
Right clicking on any file or directory causes the explorer crash.

I eventually found this thing called ShellExView that allows one to see the right click processes
that are hooking into Explorer's right click widget, and from there I caused all of the VSNTortoise
stuff to stop and the crashes stopped.

So I can't use VSN's stuff on my dev machine at the client to check directories in and out of
tortoise / VSN and so I have no way to check in initially.

I decided to try and do this on the server directly and the right click menu works just fine there,
or at least doesn't page fault explorer.  However when I try to check it in, it complains about a
different user or something.

Sigh.  AFAIC I do not have to have this in source control, i.e. the reference that I am trying to
check in are just dlls which are referenced at a specific path on my hard disk and for that purpose
having them in source control doesn't matter.  However putting it in source control allows me to
"check them out" from any other machine which needs them, and further if I get a new version of a
file (nlogs.dll for example) I can check it in and then check it out on other machines to get the
latest.  The whole point of source control really.  So long term I really want to get this working.

Colby Consulting

Reality is what refuses to go away
when you do not believe in it