[dba-VB] C# Newbie Question

Michael Maddison michael at ddisolutions.com.au
Thu Dec 29 18:38:47 CST 2011

Hi Arthur,

Doesn't get much more newbie than this ;-)
In the old VB world I assume that like me we all had a dialog class that
we reused from project to project.
That class would have included various win32 api calls.

The dotnet framework libraries are huge and it will take time to suss
out where the objects you need are.
MSDN and help are pretty good these days, I recommend browsing the
contents and reading what seems interesting or useful.

VS2010 comes with a number of standard dialogs in the toolbox by
default, color, browser, font, open and save.
You have 2 options.
Drag the control onto a form or declare an instance in your code.

Drag onto form and set properties in the property window.
Call the      openFileDialog1.ShowDialog ( ) method and you are in
business.

If you declare an instance in your code you just need to make sure you
ref 'using System.Windows.Forms;'
Then create the dialog using ' private OpenFileDialog dlg = new
OpenFileDialog ( );' or however you want to create and scope the object.

HTH

Michael M

Subject: [dba-VB] C# Newbie Question

I've got a simple little RichTextEditor program working in C#, thanks to
a book I'm working through. But the code I have makes a simple
assumption, a hard-coded filename to load and read back. That works ok,
as do all the buttons (Bold, etc.), but I want to move this up a notch
and call the FileSave and FileOpen stuff rather than use the hard-coded
filename. Can anyone help me do this? I want the Open button to invoke
the standard dialog and the Save button to invoke the standard
FileSaveAs dialog.

I'm guessing this can be done in a line or two, and I know how to do it
from Access, but I don't have any idea how to do it from C#. Any advice
most gratefully appreciated.

Thanks and to one and all, Happy New Year!

You can deduce how exciting is my life, by the fact that I'm doing this
as opposed to roasting chestnuts on a fire with a lovely loved one :)

--
Arthur
Cell: 647.710.1314

Prediction is difficult, especially of the future.

-----
No virus found in this message.