[dba-VB] Northwind.NET v.2.1 released - RE: Ded Moroz sends you links on sample projects... :)

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Mon Feb 7 08:19:37 CST 2011

Shamil et al,

 > I currently wanted to solve the issue with porting .NET WinForms application to the Web the
shortest possible(?) way (WinForms Controls ->  XBAP)

Can I assume that the application runs exactly as it would if it were native, except that it is in a
sandbox in a browser?

What problem does that solve?
What problems does that create?

I am not fond of browser applications.  We end up losing a ton of screen real estate to an unknown
quantity of toolbars that the user has installed, then end up with sliders in all directions etc.

I actively dislike "native" browser applications, i.e. HTML / "clunky" applications.

I am very interested in applications running over the internet and hitting a database at the other
end but I am very wary of getting a browser involved.

I am interested in services.  It seems like a natural solution, already widely used and understood -
though I do not understand the details yet.  It just seems like a downloadable application that can
talk via services would be much more fluid and "windows like" than anything involving a browser.