[dba-VB] OO Programming

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Fri Jul 8 17:36:03 CDT 2011

Best prectice is for a service to not interact with the desktop in any way. Your service and
your GUI should be separate applications.

The GUI and service should communicate with each other through some form of Inter
Process Communication (IPC).    If the server and GUI will always run on the same
workstation a good choice  would be file mapping using named shared memory,
(See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366556%28v=VS.85%29.aspx )
The server can then use SendNotifyMessage() with HWND_BROADCAST  to tell  any active
GUI to check for updated data in the mapped file.

--
Stuart