[dba-VB] ASP.Net development

Doug Steele dbdoug at gmail.com
Sun Mar 6 21:04:47 CST 2011

Hello All:

A lot of the Microsoft sample code for asp.net data access is built
using strongly typed tableadapters with the .xsd design surface.  I've
built two apps using these in the last year, but they seem to be kind
of fiddly - they don't work well with multi table update queries, for
instance, and they generate a HUGE amount of background source code.
It is nice to have the strong typing, however.

I have never found any non-Microsoft sample code which uses this
technique.  Admittedly, most of the sample code in the wild consists
of short snippets built to illustrate a single technique, not a
complete application.

Two questions:
1. Are there developers out there using this approach for real life apps?
2. If not, what do you recommend?

Thanks,

Doug Steele