[dba-VB] Creating Login for ASP.net site using VB.Net connecting to MySQL

ACTEBS actebs at actebs.com.au
Tue Nov 22 18:48:40 CST 2011

Hi Everyone,

I have decided to give up on the built in ASP Membership and create my own custom one to suit my needs and also to learn more about website coding and it's intricacies.

For those of you who want to have a look at how you use the ASP Membership features with MySQL or MariaDB, you can download what I did here:

http://download.actebs.com.au/asp/LoginMySQL.zip

Inside the zip file you will see the sql script (logintest.sql) to create the database. Ensure you have the MySQL ADO.Net Connector installed. It can be downloaded here:

http://www.mysql.com/products/connector/

Download the item called "ADO.NET Driver for MySQL (Connector/NET)"

Also, in your project ensure you have referenced both MySQL.Data.dll and MySQL.Web.dll

To be honest, those ASP controls are pretty lame, and even though they do save a bit of time in coding membership features, this is far outweighed by the sheer lack of info and lack of basic membership features like email confirmation upon log on. Totally bemused by the lack of such a fundamental feature that nearly all sites on the web currently have.

I will be asking a heap of question shortly and I hope you guys can help me out...

Thanks

Vlad