[dba-VB] OT: MS Office 2010 / MS SharePoint 2010 development system box requirements

Doug Steele dbdoug at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 18:49:01 CST 2011

Hi Shamil:

I think you'll be surprised at how fast VMs run on your computer, even with
3Gb and 32bit Windows.

I have VMWare Workstation.  I normally use VMs to run different versions of
Office for Access development.  Most of them are 20-25Gb.  The first time I
tried to convert an actual physical machine to a VM, I was surprised to
find that the size of the resulting VM was going to be the total of EVERY
file on the Windows boot drive - I wasn't ready to create a 200GB VM!

I did convert one old Windows 2000 server machine to a VM successfully (as
a backup before I sent the computer to recycling), but before I converted
it, I removed as many programs and files as I could while still keeping it
functional.

Doug