[dba-VB] Rapid Application Development: LightSwitch 2011

Gustav Brock gustav at cactus.dk
Mon Sep 19 10:34:27 CDT 2011

Hi Shamil

Great! I knew they couldn't fool you.

Beth Massi of MS tells why SQL Express is needed:

<quote>
SQL Express is necessary because at development time, LightSwitch uses a User Instance of the database (this automatically attaches the database "on-the-fly" to the SQL service. Only SQL Express supports this option. If we didn't do it this way then you would not be able to easily share LightSwitch solutions with other developers or "F5" samples.

Hope this makes more sense now.
</quote>

Perhaps it makes sense, but I still don't understand why only the Express edition can carry out this "magic" which sounds pretty simple.

Thanks for the screen shots. Looks promising.

/gustav

>>> shamil at smsconsulting.spb.ru 19-09-2011 16:31 >>>
Hi Gustav --

The issue was with table name [OrderDetail] and relationship name
OrderDetails collision - with  [OrderDetail] table getting OrderDetails
entities collection name (or something like that) when MS Lightswitch did
got generated EF data model - I have chenaged relationship name to
OrderItems - and voila' - the MS Lightswitch project compiles well now.

I have also got "hacked" the issue described here:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/lightswitchgeneral/thread/de2e7ee5-fc82-4614-9245-4f4a9ae7185f

and I have now MS Lightswitch/Northwind tiny sample app with five
search/view/edit forms/secreens running locally under Visual Studio:

http://smsconsulting.spb.ru/test/s1.png
http://smsconsulting.spb.ru/test/s2.png
http://smsconsulting.spb.ru/test/s3.png
http://smsconsulting.spb.ru/test/s4.png
http://smsconsulting.spb.ru/test/s5.png

I will try to write more on that "hacking" in coming days if time will allow
and I will also try to publish this app...

Still don't understand why that MS SQL "__IntrinsicData" MS SQLExpress
instance can't be swicthed-off/"hacked" via MS Lightswitch development
interface/properties - hope it will be possible to do that in the coming MS
Lightswitch updates...