[dba-VB] [SPAM] Create and Use a Virtual Hard Disk on Windows 7 and Windows 8

Salakhetdinov Shamil mcp2004 at mail.ru
Mon Dec 3 04:17:19 CST 2012

Hi Stuart and John --

Thank you for your comments.

Yes, I do remember MS DOS Stacker etc. but I have never used virtual hard disks in MS Windows: I have asked about performance hit because I have found that when setting a "map network drive" share from VM to a host PC virtual harddisk it takes some time even to create and save via notepad.exe a small text file. During that time notepad.exe becomes "frozen". When you restart VM with "map network drive" share automatically remapped then such a "performance hit side effect" disappears...

Anyway I'm going to try using virtual hard disks to keep the source files and test databases for my customers projects...

Thank you.

-- Shamil

Mon  3 Dec 2012 13:36:06 от "Stuart McLachlan" <stuart at lexacorp.com.pg>:

>I did some testing a while ago with Access  and VirtualBox.

There was no appreciable difference when writing  and reading large test datasets between

Access running directly in Win 7 and  running in a VirtualBox installation with a virtual HD.

Certainly nothing a user would notice.

Except in one instance where I created a new virtual machine and told it to create a

"dyanically allocated" disk rather "fixed size" - that really slowed down the initial writes :-)

--

Stuart