[dba-VB] VS 2010 C# Referencing Ionic.Zip

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Tue Feb 7 10:54:24 CST 2012

I use the Ionic.Zip library to zip files up.  We have consistently had issues making references like
this work across all of our projects, to the point where we created a References directory under the
Projects directory and placed all of the DLLs into that for source control.  This allows us to
"pull" these files and get the latest versions, and then any project references that same physical
file.

I am still having a problem with this Ionic.Zip.Dll file.  I reference it.  The reference does not
give the "broken" icon.  Using works just fine.  But when the line of code hits the call into the
function where it would actually create a variable, it stops and complains that the DLL file cannot
be found.

I am a bit confused for several reasons.  First why is it stopping on the function call rather than
down in the function itself where the zip object is dimensioned?  Second why is it complaining at
all when the rest of the program apparently thinks things are fine?  No compile errors, no using
complaints no references complaints.

Weird!  I have seen places where the using collection in the project says the thing (suddenly)
cannot be found, and I have to delete and re-reference the object, but in this case there is just no
indication anywhere that there is a problem until we hit the function call to the function inside of
which I do the compression stuff.

Any ideas?

Colby Consulting

Reality is what refuses to go away