[dba-VB] FYI: Microsoft embracing REST, ATOM and JSON by Open Data Protocol (OData)

Francisco Tapia fhtapia at gmail.com
Wed May 2 10:24:49 CDT 2012

Shamil,
  Have you done any work on with oData?  sounds like the Microsoft Irland's
answer to a webservice protocol... j/k everyone :)

In my day to day I've moved away from developing exclusively on microsoft
products and into developing in SAP and now ObjectiveC (iPad apps).  I had
just crossed a horrible bridge and learning curve to figure out calling
soap objects from iOS, a process where Apple can learn a thing or three
from MS and their IDE.  In C# I can consume a wsdl and begin using it
almost right away after the wizard is complete.  in ObjectiveC I need a
third party product that will help me consume the WSDL and then create
classes from it, so I can begin using it, the problem is everyone's class
generator is different and there are vastly different approaches including
a hand coded effort in pure xcode tools which while it's a good IDE, I
think I'm just too familiar with MS.

anyhow, this post was supposed to be more about oData, as the latest papers
from SAP recommend using this protocol for interfacing between SAP and
Third party products (MS applications, iOS, Android etc etc etc)

is anyone else here interested in this type of discussion or familiar with
it beyond the original post?

Hope to hear back from someone! :)
-Francisco
http://bit.ly/sqlthis   | Tsql and More...