[dba-VB] FYI: Microsoft embracing REST, ATOM and JSON by Open Data Protocol (OData)

Salakhetdinov Shamil mcp2004 at mail.ru
Thu May 3 06:46:13 CDT 2012

Hi Hans --

Using SOAP Web Services from .NET clients (2.0, 3.5, 4.0) works very smoothly - no issues at all here and for my customers for the last four years, and the customers host SOAP .NET WebServices all over the world.
Yes, SOAP is a bit heavy protocol but it works very well for me.

Hint: when creating/using SOAP web services you can define just one generic operation e.g..

string Run(...)

with one parameter string xmlArgs and pass/return that generic operation parameters/attributes/results as XML/JSON/... text string, which can be parsed/serialized/deserialized on client and web service side by whatever serialization/deserialization method is more suitable for you - this way you'll have to make SOAP web service communication coding just one time. Not very elegant approach but it should work well for many real life apps. I do not use this approach as .NET SOAP Web Service proxy generation works very well but for ObjectiveC it would be useful?

Anyway I do plan to switch to WCF/oData as being more open/easy to access by non MS/.NET client apps....

Thank you.

-- Shamil

Thu, 3 May 2012 00:07:44 -0700 от Hans-Christian Andersen <hans.andersen at phulse.com>:
> Just the mere fact that you need to use SOAP makes me feel sorry for you, regardless of IDE/language/platform etc. I've tried many of them and it is never a pleasant experience.
>
> Best regards,
> Hans-Christian Andersen
>

> On 2 May 2012, at 09:24, Francisco Tapia <fhtapia at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Gustav,
> >  Well it's a learning curve for sure, if you're a C programmer, then I
> > think it's just trival, and something you can get past with not much
> > effort, the problem is that I am not a C programmer, I am a
> > developer/programmer/dba who can write webservices in C#, and write tsql
> > code.  I am also versed in asp and javascript.  So I can figure things out
> > well enough.
> >
> > ObjectiveC was the biggest learning curve and the biggest problem is that I
> > would work with it then abandon it because I didn't have any projects, and
> > all the demos and projects I did work on did not relate closely enough with
> > my work and thus caused me to still cross the deadly SOAP calls bridge, as
> > a hint for those here wanting to partake in the same leap-defying pratice,
> > look up sudzc.com it was (for me at least) the most used third party class
> > generator that allows you to consume and quickly use your webservice.  It
> > is easier than many of the other converters out there, but that being said
> > I have not dealt with the oData client for Objective C and thus why I asked
> > the question if anyone was using the client in .net, I don't, but was
> > curious.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > -Francisco
> > http://bit.ly/sqlthis   | Tsql and More...
> > <http://db.tt/JeXURAx>
> >

> > On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 9:17 AM, Gustav Brock <Gustav at cactus.dk> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Francisco
> >>
> >> You just confirmed why I decided to stay off iOS (and Android for that
> >> matter); too little time for such stuff.
> >>
> >> I just went to a meeting today at Microsoft for an intro to Windows 8
> >> Metro apps running on the new WinRT and learned that you just as well can
> >> get used to async communication for any serious task. The good news is that
> >> it is extremely easy to set up with the new API - just a few lines of code.
> >>
> >> We didn't reach oData. I would be interested in following this, though
> >> some have had some bad experiences:
> >>

> >> http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/programming-and-development/my-first-windows-8-application/5273
> >>
> >> but I guess it is just a question of using it "right".
> >>
> >> /gustav

<<< snip >>>