[dba-VB] ASP.NET Redirect on 404 error

Salakhetdinov Shamil mcp2004 at mail.ru
Sun Sep 30 14:32:27 CDT 2012

Thank you, Gustav,

But that was you who did it again, wasn't you? ;)

-- Shamil

Sat, 29 Sep 2012 17:36:15 +0200 от "Gustav Brock" <Gustav at cactus.dk>:

>Hi Shamil

You did it again! This is, of course, how to do it, but what did I know as little as I have worked with ASP.NET.

The server runs ASP.NET 4.5, so System.Web.Routing it is extremely easy to configure in Global.asax at Application_Start:

protected void Application_Start(object sender, EventArgs e)

{

    RegisterRoutes(RouteTable.Routes);

}

void RegisterRoutes(RouteCollection routes)

{

    // Register a route to handle all urls.

    // The {*...} instructs the route to match all content after the first slash."

    routes.MapPageRoute(

        "CatchAll",             // Route name

        "{*MyKeys}",            // Route URL

        "~/Default.aspx"        // Web page to handle route

     );

}

Thanks for the head up!

/gustav

PS: Here is a brief, though good tutorial: http://www.4guysfromrolla.com/articles/012710-1.aspx

>>> Salakhetdinov Shamil <mcp2004 at mail.ru> 26-09-12 23:16 >>>

Hi Gustav --

Just a note (I have no real life experience with cases as you have) - do you have ASP.NET routing enabled for your "human-friendly" URLs - the ones without .aspx extension?

>http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3523264/asp-net-4-0-url-routing-http-error-404-0-not-found

Thank you.

-- Shamil

Wed, 26 Sep 2012 22:55:40 +0200 от "Gustav Brock" <Gustav at cactus.dk>:

>Hi all

OK, I've made some progress - paying attention to Upper/lower case of Mode:

<configuration>

****<system.web>

******<compilation debug="true" targetFramework="4.5" />

******<httpRuntime targetFramework="4.5" />

******<customErrors mode="On">

********<error statusCode="404" redirect="Default.aspx" />

******</customErrors>

****</system.web>

</configuration>

Now a not-found page like:

>www.example.com/somewrongpage.aspx

is redirected. But:

>www.example.com/somethingwrong

still fails with 404.

Any hints?

/gustav

>>> gustav at cactus.dk 26-09-12 17:43 >>>

Hi all

I have an extremely simple site, one page only: Default.aspx

How can I in a simple way redirect all faulty URLs to this page? So that if the user types:

>www.example.com/somethingwrong

the error is trapped and the user gets:

>www.example.com/Default.aspx

I have this Web.config file which should do the job, but it doesn't:

<configuration>

****<system.web>

******<compilation debug="true" targetFramework="4.5" />

******<httpRuntime targetFramework="4.5" />

******<customErrors Mode="On">

********<error statusCode="404" redirect="Default.aspx" />

******</customErrors>

****</system.web>

</configuration>

Aside from this I can google many fancy solutions. Not needed. It just needs to call the default page.