[dba-VB] Hosting a .Net App (X-Posted)

Dan Waters df.waters at comcast.net
Tue Apr 2 11:35:30 CDT 2013

One of my customers has a parent company which contracted with a computer
services company (let's call them CSC).  That company is responsible for all
things PC, network, servers, security, etc.  They have single tool: a 5 lb.
sledge.

The latest is that they've 'hardened' all the servers at my client's
location.  But what they really did was to quarantine them.  Which means
that no one, including me, can use remote desktop to get at my system and
data tables.   I am literally locked out.  Their answer is that people can
still get at the files, they just can't remote in.  This absolutely does not
work for me at all (think running access across the internet).
Unfortunately, my client is as frustrated as I am because they have zero
input on this (and many other things) and zero control to prevent it.

So I was thinking that perhaps I could host my .Net Windows forms click-once
desktop app on a hosted server.  The people at my client could log into the
server using VPN or something similar, and then run my published app.  This
concept already works because if they are off site they can log into their
network using VPN and then just open my app - which runs just as quickly
remotely as it does locally.  And I could log in using something equivalent
to VPN/Remote Desktop to make needed changes.

Can anyone provide any thoughts on this?  I do have a website hosted via
GoDaddy so I'm going to talk with them also.

Thanks!

Dan Waters