[dba-VB] English understanding: Intrinsic?

Mark Breen marklbreen at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 14:31:20 CDT 2014

Hello All,

I am struggling to say why I would not use that word to describe the
variables in a system.

I like the description here
<http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/intrinsic> including
the additional example sentences.

Religion might be used with that word.
Culture might be.
Deep emotional things may be intrinsic.

Making money is intrinsic to MS
Helping others might be intrinsic to open source communities.

I would not say "atomic transactions are intrinsic to MS SQL Server".

Why not??  Somehow, it is not the right meaning, sql server does not
believe it its heart that atomic transactions are important, they are just
how it is built.

Safety is not intrinsic in the bridge,
Safety is intrinsic to the city that is building the new bridge.

Any help ?

Intrinsic means built in at a deep, almost emotional level.

There seems to be some intrinsically built into me that loves motorcycles.

Debate is intrinsically built into John Colby!

Mark