[dba-VB] Visual Studio community edition

Salakhetdinov Shamil mcp2004 at mail.ru
Sat Feb 28 02:14:21 CST 2015

 Hi John --

Yes, I remember your driven by a large MS SQL backend DB application development story. Is it up&running? No any plans to migrate it to Linux/noSQL - Map Reduce ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MapReduce ) / CouchDB ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CouchDB ) ?

As for Git and VS, look at/try to use GitExt ( https://code.google.com/p/gitextensions/ ).
It's used by many VS developers AFAIK.
I have used it too for a while while contacting with some of Umbraco ( http://umbraco.com/ )  devs.
And when I will switch from Mercurial to Git I will probably use it as the main Git UI.
I have it (GitExt) currently integrated into VS 2012, and I suppose that its integrated version/add-in should be also available for VS 2013.

You know, Git has a different "philosophy"/development workflow than SVN.
The core Git idea/feature is branching - if properly applied it allows you to keep all your code versions whatever "experimenting in code" you'll do.
Also Git is a distributed source version control system. So you can keep most of your branching/experimenting locally (backing up local repository regularly somewhere for safety) and commit updates to the central Git repository/server by using so called pull-requests,  which aren't applied immediately to the common code base but can be reviewed and only then safely applied ( https://help.github.com/articles/using-pull-requests/ ). It's all a very different story than SVN, and IMO it's much more suitable for the modern software development: it's no coincidence that *even* Microsoft is using and promoting Git nowadays....

Thank you.

-- Shamil

Friday, February 27, 2015 11:09 AM -05:00 from "John W. Colby" <jwcolby at gmail.com>:
>I have been using Tortoise / SVN on Visual Studio for about the last 5
>years.  VS has an integrated VisualSVN toolbar and just works.  I have
>only developed one app but it was a biggie.  24 classes.  Not sure how
>many lines total, not sure how to get that info.  My guess would be 10K
>or more.  134 puts over the years.
>
>I use this app to run my business for one client, automating extracting
>500 million records a month from SQL Server out into 500K record text
>files, feeding them off to virtual machines for processing, and then
>importing only the the changed records back into SQL Server.  As you can
>imagine, doing that by hand would be impossible.
>
>SVN has been functioning flawlessly for my purposes, however I am moving
>to programming in and for Linux so I have to learn some new tricks.
>
>John W. Colby
<<< skipped >>>