[dba-VS] Properties versus Attributes

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Wed Apr 1 16:15:12 CDT 2015

Hi Gustav:

Good post and a good explanation.

Jim

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gustav Brock" <gustav at cactus.dk>
To: "Development in Visual Studio" <dba-vs at databaseadvisors.com>
Sent: Wednesday, April 1, 2015 5:13:57 AM
Subject: [dba-VS] Properties versus Attributes

Hi all

>From time to time I’ve wondered about the proper use of attributes versus properties, and sometimes I have looked to find a guideline but with little luck. So - nearly always – I end up defining properties as these are so easy to implement.

Today I searched again, as I for a project really need to have this settled. I found this blog entry by Eric Lippert which makes good sense to me:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ericlippert/archive/2009/02/02/properties-vs-attributes.aspx

In short he states:

Use attributes to describe your mechanisms, use properties to model the domain.

As always, nothing is black/white, and “everything depends”, and specific conditions may make you derive from this - but, at least as a starting point, do you find this statement true? Or do you stick to other guidelines?

/gustav