[dba-VS] TypeScript

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Tue May 12 13:53:01 CDT 2015

Hi Gustav:

Congratulations! :-)

Jim

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gustav Brock" <gustav at cactus.dk>
To: "Development in Visual Studio" <dba-vs at databaseadvisors.com>
Sent: Tuesday, May 12, 2015 4:17:00 AM
Subject: Re: [dba-VS] TypeScript

Hi Arthur et al

I managed to pass the course. It was a bit more difficult than expected because the instructors and the homework insist on a rigid use of interfaces even for the tiniest purpose - they call them baby interfaces -like:

    interface IArtStyle {
        name: string;
    }

Thus you get a tiny class like:

    class ArtStyle implements IArtStyle {
        name: string;
        constructor(artStyle: IArtStyle) {
            this.name = artStyle.name;
        }
    }

Effectively, as you can see, this holds nothing more than a string.
But it demonstrates the power of strong typing.

Also the option for classes, inheritance, and modules (namespaces) really turns Javascript into a low-level language compared to TypeScript.

It took me many hours to create the final piece of code - until I found out that the provided JSON file was buggy. But, hey, isn't that real life? Never trust an unknown data source.

/gustav