[dba-VS] ASP.NET MVC: Retrieve HTML encoded content

Scott Marcus scott.marcus at tsstech.com
Fri Oct 7 13:02:20 CDT 2016

Have you looked at Grav?

https://getgrav.org/

-----Original Message-----
From: dba-VS [mailto:dba-vs-bounces at databaseadvisors.com] On Behalf Of Gustav Brock
Sent: Friday, October 7, 2016 6:36 AM
To: Development in Visual Studio <dba-vs at databaseadvisors.com>
Subject: [dba-VS] ASP.NET MVC: Retrieve HTML encoded content

Hi all

I'm working with a small low-traffic website that mostly will contain pages (partial views) with text like articles - title, subtitle, body perhaps with some links and lists.
Much like a miniature CMS, but while the layout will be fixed, the content may have to be edited over time.

My first thought was simply to store the content stubs in discrete text files which easily could be replaced without rebuilding the site, but just naming these files quickly will be a mess, I think.
Then I thought of a database, but isn't that overkill? Also, that will require an "admin" section or separate app or the like to edit the content, and then the project suddenly escalates.

So is there something in between simple files and a database, that my lack of fantasy is leaving out?

I also thought of XML files, which I have used before with some success, but that was for traditional data storage, not text blocks.

Further, how do you go about editing the content as HTML? I will only need basic attributes like bold, link, and list. Do you write up the content in an HTML editor, save this, and then retrieve it as raw HTML?

/gustav