[dba-VS] Printing 'Code 128 A' Barcode Labels

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Fri Oct 27 17:57:54 CDT 2017

Interesting.

Does it work?

Jim

----- Original Message -----
From: "stuart" <stuart at lexacorp.com.pg>
To: "Development in Visual Studio" <dba-vs at databaseadvisors.com>
Sent: Thursday, October 26, 2017 6:11:50 PM
Subject: Re: [dba-VS] Printing 'Code 128 A' Barcode Labels

On 26 Oct 2017 at 8:46, Salakhetdinov Shamil via dba wrote:

> Hi All --
>
> I have to print 'Code 128A' barcode labels in one of my customers C#
> applications' reports. Do you know any third-party tools lighter than
> LEADTools ( https://www.leadtools.com/sdk/barcode-pro ) to solve my
> task?
>
> FYI: I have googled and I have found several solutions but all of them
> look a bit ovewrpriced for a single task of just printing barcode
> labels.
>
> There seems to be also a free solution
> (https://www.codeproject.com/Articles/14409/GenCode-A-Code-Barcode-Gen
> erator) but I'm not sure it will be useful for my case where I'll have
> to print several labels in two columns in one A4 page.

Does hit have to be Subset A?  (i.e. with ASCII Control characters).  If you are only after
letters and numbers, then the simplest solution is to download a Code128 font and write a
function to covert your data to an appropriate string.

If you need to use A, it gets a bit more tricky.

Here's a Code 128 TTF: https://d13ot9o61jdzpp.cloudfront.net/files/code128.ttf

And here's a VBA function to convert a string to a Code128 (B or C) string.  (I'm sure you can
covert it to C# fairly easily)

Public Function Code128(SourceString As String)

    'Written by Philip Treacy, Feb 2014
    'http://www.myonlinetraininghub.com/create-barcodes-with-excel-vba
    'This code is not guaranteed to be error free.  No warranty is implied or expressed. Use at
your own risk and carry out your own testing
    'This function is governed by the GNU Lesser General Public License (GNU LGPL) Ver 3
    'Input Parameters : A string
    'Return : 1. An encoded string which produces a bar code when dispayed using the
CODE128.TTF font
    '         2. An empty string if the input parameter contains invalid characters

    Dim Counter As Integer
    Dim CheckSum As Long
    Dim mini As Integer
    Dim dummy As Integer
    Dim UseTableB As Boolean
    Dim Code128_Barcode As String

    If Len(SourceString) > 0 Then

        'Check for valid characters
        For Counter = 1 To Len(SourceString)

            Select Case Asc(Mid(SourceString, Counter, 1))

                Case 32 To 126, 203

                Case Else

                    MsgBox "Invalid character in barcode string." & vbCrLf & vbCrLf & "Please only
use standard ASCII characters", vbCritical
                    Code128 = ""
                    Exit Function

            End Select

        Next

        Code128_Barcode = ""
        UseTableB = True

        Counter = 1
        Do While Counter <= Len(SourceString)

            If UseTableB Then

                'Check if we can switch to Table C
                mini = IIf(Counter = 1 Or Counter + 3 = Len(SourceString), 4, 6)
                GoSub testnum

                If mini% < 0 Then 'Use Table C

                    If Counter = 1 Then

                        Code128_Barcode = Chr(205)

                    Else 'Switch to table C

                        Code128_Barcode = Code128_Barcode & Chr(199)

                    End If

                    UseTableB = False

                Else

                    If Counter = 1 Then Code128_Barcode = Chr(204) 'Starting with table B

                End If

            End If

            If Not UseTableB Then

                'We are using Table C, try to process 2 digits
                mini% = 2
                GoSub testnum

                If mini% < 0 Then 'OK for 2 digits, process it

                    dummy% = Val(Mid(SourceString, Counter, 2))
                    dummy% = IIf(dummy% < 95, dummy% + 32, dummy% + 100)
                    Code128_Barcode = Code128_Barcode & Chr(dummy%)
                    Counter = Counter + 2

                Else 'We haven't got 2 digits, switch to Table B

                    Code128_Barcode = Code128_Barcode & Chr(200)
                    UseTableB = True

                End If

            End If

            If UseTableB Then

                'Process 1 digit with table B
                Code128_Barcode = Code128_Barcode & Mid(SourceString, Counter, 1)
                Counter = Counter + 1

            End If

        Loop

        'Calculation of the checksum
        For Counter = 1 To Len(Code128_Barcode)

            dummy% = Asc(Mid(Code128_Barcode, Counter, 1))
            dummy% = IIf(dummy% < 127, dummy% - 32, dummy% - 100)

            If Counter = 1 Then CheckSum& = dummy%

            CheckSum& = (CheckSum& + (Counter - 1) * dummy%) Mod 103

        Next

        'Calculation of the checksum ASCII code
        CheckSum& = IIf(CheckSum& < 95, CheckSum& + 32, CheckSum& + 100)

        'Add the checksum and the STOP
        Code128_Barcode = Code128_Barcode & Chr(CheckSum&) & Chr$(206)
    End If

    Code128 = Code128_Barcode

    Exit Function

testnum:

        'if the mini% characters from Counter are numeric, then mini%=0
        mini% = mini% - 1
        If Counter + mini% <= Len(SourceString) Then

            Do While mini% >= 0

                If Asc(Mid(SourceString, Counter + mini%, 1)) < 48 Or Asc(Mid(SourceString,
Counter + mini%, 1)) > 57 Then Exit Do
                mini% = mini% - 1

            Loop

        End If