[AccessD] odd index problem

Susan Harkins harkins at iglou.com
Wed Apr 16 09:20:25 CDT 2003

I've noticed something weird with indexes on two different systems using
Access 2002 and Access 2003. When I create a primary key using the Primary
Key tool, Access creates two indexes instead of one. I've tested it a number
of times using different scenarios and I can't seem to shake it. Does this
happen with anyone else? Martin checked and says no -- he only gets the one
index as expected.

Create a simple table with a couple of fields and create a primary key on
one of the fields. Check the indexes window. I end up with the following:

TestID            TestID    Ascending
PrimaryKey    TestID    Ascending

The index for TestID has all properties set to No. The PrimaryKey index is
as it should be -- Yes, Yes, No.

There are no other tables, no relationships, no foreign keys in the sample.
Nothing else happens -- blank database, quick table... there they are.

Susan H.