[AccessD] Determine Mileage Between 2 Zip Codes

William Hindman wdhindman at bellsouth.net
Wed Apr 9 12:51:35 CDT 2003

Scott

...not quite, 5 digit zips are assigned to the main post offices within a
zip ...mileage is calculated between the po's, not the area boundaries
...but its still full of errors when you are concerned about actual mileage
rather than proximate ...in the only app I use zip/mileage calculations in,
a difference of a few miles isn't a concern whereas it would appear to be in
Chris's application ...except that his contract allows for exactly that type
of error by specifying the use of zip codes ...moving up to the next step
...routing software door to door mileage calculations is tremendously more
costly and is actually subject to more variables since the opening of a new
road could easily change the mileage calculations considerably ...take your
pick of poison ...in Chris's case, I'd stick with zips.

William Hindman
"War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and
degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is
worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to
fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a
miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so
by the exertions of better men than himself."  John Stuart Mill