[AccessD] Enterprise Manager replacement ???

MartyConnelly martyconnelly at shaw.ca
Thu Apr 10 11:08:41 CDT 2003

Tom Adams wrote:

>I'm working on a VB6 project with  Sql 7 running on an NT 4 server.
>
>I don't like the limitations of the Enterprise Manager (eg. Won't show the schema or fields when using a Case statement, although it
>runs fine).
>
>Does anyone know of a replacement product - reasonably priced of course that would work properly with a Case statement.  I've used
>Tiffany with Sql Server 6.5 and it was wonderful but I think it's about $1,000.
>
>Thanks - Tom

This free replacement for EM complete with vb and sql-dmo source code
has been out for a couple of years. Useful for learning SQL-DMO from
VB6.  Is it fully stable? I don't know but it has been out a couple
years. It has versions for SQL 7 and SQL 2000. There is documentation in
English and Italian. If it doesn't work as advertised you can change the
code.  Andrea Montanari, the guy that wrote this, kept losing his
website in Italy. This seems to be, why it has been hard to find.

http://www.asql.biz/DbaMgr.shtm

 I mentioned it to Roger Jenning in response to a quote from the last
paragraph of my "Is MSDE Right for You?" MS Responds article
(http://www.fawcette.com/dotnetmag/2002_01/online/online_eprods/sql_rjennin
gs01_10/page2.asp).

"Here's hoping that some "enterprising" ISV takes advantage of SQLNamespace
objects and SQL-DMO to deliver a reasonably priced Enterprise Manager
replacement. Then MSDE will be "right" for at least moderate-duty database
back ends, and upsizing Jet databases to MSDE 2000 finally will become
practical."

 He had a look and said  it would have made a good addition to the
CD-ROM for his Access books.

 There is also this free one from BMC that works from a web browser and
various DB's
but I haven't tried it out. It uses a 12 month free license key
renewable every year.

SmartDBA Cockpit (1.6.01)

http://shop.bmc.com/product_moreinfo.cfm?id=2479&cpg=US00-1889GA