[AccessD] autonumber

Hale, Jim jim.hale at fleetpride.com
Wed Apr 16 09:46:26 CDT 2003

<Why would auditors care about the AutoNumber?>
It goes back to the old paper days when PO's, invoices, etc were uniquely
numbered. For control purposes every copy had to be accounted for. Many
software programs carried over this convention from the paper world. If a
number is missing from a document series the audit question becomes "what
happened to it?." While this may have been a relevant question in paper days
it has become less meaningful as accounting software has evolved away from a
strict adherence to the paper paradigm. In any case, as JC has pointed out
many times, the auto number should remain under the hood. It is database
structure stuff with which the user doesn't need to bother himself. The
invoice or PO number  shown to the user should be handled separately so that
database structure remains separate from accounting needs.
Jim Hale