[AccessD] Secured vs. Unsecured FEs

John W. Colby jcolby at ColbyConsulting.com
Wed Apr 16 18:22:33 CDT 2003

I had a user inform me that she had tried to make a change to a table and
the database wouldn't let her.  The database was split, and she was trying
to make the change to the linked table through the FE.  One has to wonder
why any user thinks they have the right to just start modifying tables, but
things like this DO happen.  And to then TELL ME that she was trying to do
this... it boggles the mind!

In most cases I use the split FE/BE, with the FE located on a server and
downloaded by a shortcut on the user's desktop.  The user can modify
whatever they want on their copy.  The next time they fire up the FE, they
get a clean copy from the server.  I usually have a copy on my system at my
office as well.

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting

From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
[mailto:accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com]On Behalf Of Charlotte
Foust
Sent: Wednesday, April 16, 2003 7:13 PM
To: accessd at databaseadvisors.com
Subject: RE: [AccessD] Secured vs. Unsecured FEs

When I do independent contracting, that is exactly what I do ... Unless
the contract specfies otherwise.   I learned many years ago that it was
the only way to protect the application from "curious" users or those
who had taken a class in Access and were anxious to use what they
learned. <g>

Charlotte Foust

eMailBoss puts you in command of your email.
Get your copy today at http://www.eMailBoss.com