[AccessD] VBA question

Ron Allen chizotz at charter.net
Tue Apr 22 20:40:57 CDT 2003

Hello Bryan,

BC> The problem lays in the connotation that Macro brings. It implies
BC> that it is something less than programming. But we all know it's not.

Exactly, and that is where the distinction, if any, should be made.

A macro is something that can be recorded and played back by anyone,
including those with no programming knowledge or even much experience
with the application and without even realizing that the macro
recording process is generating programming code. Under those
conditions, and _only_ those conditions, does a "macro" qualify for
it's connotation. A lot of simple stuff can be done with macros, and
as such they are an ignored or at best under-used resource for many.

On the other hand, there are many things that simply can not be done
through recording a macro including the most basic of programming
structures such as the loop or conditional branching. Those items and
many others take at least some programming knowledge and skill, and
the result is absolutely no longer a "macro".

This is a sensitive subject for me, as several years ago while working
as a clerk I undertook a programming assignment writing extensive and
complex programs in Excel with the verbal agreement that I would be
compensated after the fact at a higher salary. When the time came, I
was denied the extra compensation because "all you did was do some
macros, that isn't programming".

OK, my stupidity for taking the word of anyone, even someone I liked
and trusted, when money is involved. Lesson learned, and in the long
run it was a cheap enough price to pay to learn it. Still, we all have
certain injustices happen to us that stick with us for years. That is
one of mine.

Ron