[AccessD] A2K:Loop Syntax for Update SQL

Arthur Fuller artful at rogers.com
Tue Apr 22 22:24:24 CDT 2003

With respect, IMO there is something fundamentally wrong with this design.
Any column that contains multiply-meaningful subColumns is a candidate for
revision. Each of these subColumns ought IMO to be its own column. How you
present the columns' values is a UI issue, not related to how you store the
data.

You can do what you want to very easily if each subColumn is an actual
Column. For example, "ABC" need not be stored in the database at all, since
it is common to every row. You can achieve this with a simple format, and
not store the data at all.

You can write a function to assemble N columns into whatever format you wish
and present that as the identifier to the users. How you present the data
has almost nothing to do with how you store the data. To obtain part 3 of
your key you can Dmax() with a criteria argument equal to the first two
parts of your key -- actually the first, since the "ABC" part is not stored.
I.e.

	Dmax("BookingItemNumber", "MyTable", "BookingID = '123'") + 1

will increment the itemnumber part of your key, and you can throw away the
first part (ABC) and concentrate on the second part.

HTH,
Arthur