[AccessD] Access, Citrix, and Processor usage

MartyConnelly martyconnelly at shaw.ca
Wed Apr 23 11:38:16 CDT 2003

For normal operations, Access, like other RDBMSs has background processing
that uses the processing power.  The Windows Task Manager usually shows 99 -
100% CPU usage for Access.  However, Access will yield CPU to other tasks if
required. It just means that there is a constant polling among other
things  taking place,
but Access will yield when appropriate.  It takes up CPU time in low
priority threads for
 data caching, etc. Anything you do on the machine, including the screen
saver,
 gets priority.   I have seti at home running in the background so my CPU
shows 100% all
 the time, it too runs on a low priority so has little effect on
performance. The only bits I would be interested in when monitoring CPU
useage would be things running at normal or high
priority. Your Citrix hosting guys should look up info on how to display
priority and  threads.

 There is KB Access article but it is rather vague as to all the causes
mumbling something about keyboard polling but it was wriiten for Access
95. Michael Kaplan is kinda of caustic about this vague explanation
about this so called problem.