[AccessD] Easily copy the latest FE to workstation

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Mon Apr 28 21:14:55 CDT 2003

There has been talk about using batch files to update an FE from a
server before running it.  These all require some degree of
customisation, possibly through environment variables, to hard code
the location of MS Access and therefore are a PITA to set up on
multiple workstations.  I decided it was time to build one of my
little utilities to simply the process.

Now that I've built it, it's available for anyone that wants a copy
at http://www.lexacorp.com.pg  - click on the Free software button
and look for RunLocal under the "Miscellaneous Utilities"

It's only a 12KB download

RunLocal.Exe:
Copies a file to another directory and then opens the file using the
default application.

Usage: RunLocal PathAndFileName [/A]||[/D RunDirectory]

With no switches, the file PathAndFileName will be copied to the
default directory - ie the 'Start In' directory specified in a
shortcut or the directory from which the batch file or command line
is run"

With the /A switch the file will be copied to the Application
directory - ie the directory where RunLocal.exe is located"

With the /D switch the file will be copied to directory RunDirectory,
which will be created if necessary

Running the program with no parameters displays a simple help screen

Example:
"RunLocal \\MyServer\SharedDir\MyApp.MDE /D C:\Temp"
copies the latest version of MyApp.MDE from the server to C:\Temp
andd then opens C:\Temp\MyApp.MDE.

It uses ShelllExecute() to find and load the application required so
you can use it any registered file type.

--
Lexacorp Ltd
http://www.lexacorp.com.pg