[AccessD] Retrofit form issue

Henry Simpson hsimpson88 at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 29 21:25:40 CDT 2003

If the subform is always only a subform and others are forms, you can pass
in a delimited list of elements that include Parent form name, subform
control name and add a .form.

The bigger problem arises when you have multiple instances of a form that
runs such a procedure.  In that case, you need to pass in a reference to the
calling form itself, or better yet, references to the controls that have
properties to be set in the input form.  If you want to use a modal/dialog
form (it can be pop up without being modal), which you would in the ordinary
course of events for this kind of interaction, then any code which opens the
input form pauses as it calls 'OpenForm' so it is not possible to pass in
anything but strings in OpenArgs.  An alternative is to open the form as a
pop up and disable or hide other open forms.  In that case, the code that
opens the input form can pass in object variables to its own controls via a
public procedure or a property procedure on that input form in the lines
immediately following the OpenForm call.  That will work no matter what
level of subform nesting or which or several open instances of a calling
form is involved.

A hack solution to allow use of a modal form is to use broadly scoped
variables and set them immediately before opening the modal input form.  The
modal form should clear them in clean up when it closes to cut down on scope
contention issues.  Just make sure you don't use these variables for
anything else.

Hen