[AccessD] File-name length limitations for linked tables

Joshua B lists at jbsolutions.com.au
Tue Aug 19 22:20:31 CDT 2003

Hi Group:

I've just spent most of the day debugging a problem with opening linked tables on the FE. Access simply would not open these tables, and started throwing up all sorts of cryptic errors. After a day of decompiling, compacting, repairing, re-installing, applying patches, searching the web, I decided to move the db to a different directory, and voila! It turns out that there is a limit to the number of characters allowed in a linked table path (it seems to be around 100, I'm not sure of the exact number). Aside from venting my anger, I was just wondering if anyone had come across this problem before, and if there are any fixes for it, other than placing the db in a directory with a shorter path.

Best regards.
Joshua B
lists at jbsolutions.com.au
www.jbsolutions.com.au