[AccessD] Alignment Issue

Greg S weeden1949 at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 6 14:04:58 CDT 2003

Hi everyone!  No comment on "William's Signature Line..." and the
...oops...almost...never mind.

I have a problem with aligning (vertically) labels and/or fields on a report
when there are (1) various font sizes being used and (2) word-wrap in text
boxes.

(1) For example, let's say I have a "table", if you want to call it that, in
a report, where the left column contains the row label (identity) for
everything in that row.  The remaining columns contain fields from query
results, sums, totals, etc.  I obviously can easily align the like fields
with each other.  The problem starts when trying to align the left column
labels, which are, for example, font size 12, with the rest of the fields in
that row, which are 10.  Aligning the field/label boxes does NOT do the
trick.  Because of the larger font, that box has to be larger, in which case
the letters sit up higher in it, and don't align with the others any longer.
Most of my clients don't say anything, either out of politeness, or they
think I'm a friggin' idiot and can't even align stuff in a row.  I can see
the misalignment, but have never found a surefire way of making the letters
truely align.  It's always bugged me, but today, just back from vacation,
it's more irritating than normal.

(2) And in a similar vein, when you have labels, which are, for example,
column headings, and some of them just fill the label box and some of them
wrap around because they're too long for the column width.  Ever try
aligning those dudes on the bottom?  Without doing it manually, that is.

They can be aligned manually (eyeball) and look fairly good, but I was
thinking there had to be a more accurate way to do it.  I'm currently using
A97, but use 2k and XP on occasion as well.

Thanks in advance!

Greg Smith
weeden1949 at hotmail.com