[AccessD] Who is linked to my back end?

Lonnie Johnson prodevmg at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 7 13:22:21 CDT 2003

You raise some great issues here John. I thank you again for your thoughts.

However, I was reaching a bit in a different. I was wanting to know of ANYONE and EVERYONE that had a link to a particular table in my back end no matter if they were using it or not.

I have an officer of the company wanting to know who could be linked to a particular table. It would have likely been via the linked table manager/wizard.

Thanks again.

John Colby <jcolby at colbyconsulting.com> wrote:
AFAIK, JET and only JET "knows" the internals of the Access db. It creates
the lock db and it handles requests for data from an MDB from requesters
such as DAO and ADO.

It does indeed give one pause. This is a sore point with the use of an MDB.
OTOH, can you "ask" SQL Server who is accessing a given table at the moment?
I don't have the answer to that. Now that someone has asked, it seems a
logical thing to do, or at the very least ask who has accessed a given table
(historical). The problem is that there are so many paths in to data. A
document in word could do a mail merge. That document could be opened from
a VB front end remotely. "who" is asking for the data? The document? The
user of the machine that used automation to open the document? And if the
request comes from the web... how in the world do you determine who asked
for the data. At best you would get an application as the requester.

John W. Colby
www.colbyconsulting.com