[AccessD] TEchie Question

Lembit Soobik Lembit.Soobik at t-online.de
Mon Aug 11 13:19:00 CDT 2003

Martin,
dont know whether that helps, but if you google it yo get more thatn just this:

http://www.grtg.org/stuff/computers/windows/svchost_exe.php
Svchost.exe is just an easy name to say. What this means is that you have
services running from dynamic-link libraries (DLLs). The Svchost.exe file is
located in the %SystemRoot%\System32 folder. At startup, Svchost.exe checks the
services portion of the registry to construct a list of services that it needs
to load. There can be multiple instances of Svchost.exe running at the same
time.

Each Svchost.exe session can contain a grouping of services, so that separate
services can be run depending on how and where Svchost.exe is started. This
allows for better control and debugging.

Svchost.exe groups are identified in the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Svchost

Each value under this key represents a separate Svchost group, and represents
one instance of Svchost.exe. Each value is a REG_MULTI_SZ value and contains the
services that run under that Svchost group. Each Svchost group can have more
than one service_names extracted from the following registry key, whose
Parameters key contains a ServiceDLL value:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\ service

If you go to Start --> Run and type command, you can find out what the
svchost.exe files corrispond to.

(Windows XP) Once you have the command line up, type Tasklist /SVC.
(Windows 2K) See end of page!

Lembit Soobik