[AccessD] Indexes on text fields

Jim Dettman jimdettman at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 13 15:30:02 CDT 2003

Mark,

  That's a good question and I don't believe anyone outside of Microsoft
knows the answer.

  Intersections between indexes is a Rushmore optimization, which has never
been documented.  I do know that for a compound index, the search fields
must be in the same order as the index or it is not used.

  SHOWPLAN on the query might give you some idea what it's doing, but it
would be still conjecture as to what's really happening on the search.

  I suppose a little testing on a rather large recordset would yield an
answer.

Jim Dettman
President,
Online Computer Services of WNY, Inc.