[AccessD] Summer Intern Software:(

Nancy Lytle nancy.lytle at auatac.com
Thu Aug 14 07:30:22 CDT 2003

 f>>>>ine piece of summer intern engineering.<<<<

Boy, does that have me laughing and crying right now.
I have just been given a database that was developed by a summer intern who had absolutely no experience with Access before he started this project.  There is no documentation, except for some sheet laying out of schedule of when milestones were to be met.
And I was told it should be ready to give to the users within a week. Well it has been a week now and I am discovering some major issues, fields are named inconsistently across the database (trans_num in one table, doc_num in another - they are supposed to be the same thing),  there 9 different queries, 9 reports with the only difference being the year and category.., plus other duplicates of reports, queries and tables, no relationships were set up, and although the database is for financial analysis of money into and out of projects and tasks within projects, I can find no code that actually updates the data in the tables, just some code in the reports.  I am going crazy.
Have any of you (or most) run into this type of situation.  If so how to you make the client realize that if they want a database that works there will need to be some major revamping needed that will take some time.
The client thinks it works okay, but that is because she is testing it with static data and not testing it dynamically by doing data entry.
TIA,
Nancy

---