[AccessD] OT: Sending a form out to multiple users via email

Steve Capistrant scapistrant at symphonyinfo.com
Tue Aug 19 13:13:33 CDT 2003

A good answer depends on getting a little more information:  how is the
"form" data used once the supervisor sees it?  Is it just text that he/she
reads and thinks about?  Or is it data that needs to be inserted into
database tables?  The answer will affect the choice of software used for the
form, and whether or not it can be web-based, and whether it needs to be
sent back to the supervisor in unstructured (like a Word document) or
structured (like an XML file) form.

As for the automated weekly reminder, you can use Windows Task Scheduler to
launch an application with some macro that that performs the sendout.  I
can't speak to how that would work with Outlook, but you can certainly do it
from an Access database.  You create a standalone database with a startup
form that has code in its OnOpen property to initiate a mailing.  Then cycle
through a list of employee names, get the email address, and use SendObject
to send the email (use the variation that does not pause to allow user
input).  The database code can then close itself down in 10 minutes using
the Timer property of the startup form.  All the TaskScheduler has to do is
open the database once a week.

Steve Capistrant
Symphony Information Services
scapistrant at symphonyinfo.com