[AccessD] A2K:OT: Get a batch file to quit or close

Drew Wutka DWUTKA at marlow.com
Thu Aug 28 21:26:47 CDT 2003

That's not the point Darren.  You do know VBA.  If you have a msgbox open,
and the next line is docmd.quit, is docmd.quit EVER going to happen if the
message box is open?

NO, because that line of code won't fire until it is reached.  Same with a
batch file.  A batch file runs one line at a time, and it doesn't fire the
next, until the first one finishes.  If you have a line that opens a
program, it is tied up until that program closes.

As usual, you've forced me to do a little research, and as usual, I have a
solution for you.

While perusing through the batch commands in Windows Help (There aren't
many), I looked into cmd, which opens another command window.  From that, I
found a reference to Start, which does EXACTLY what you want.  There is a
catch however.  It is a Windows 2000 and up ONLY command.

I tested this out.  I have a few batch files that I use to make my life
easier.  One of my most common usages is setting up batch files to connect
to a particular machine through Remote Administrator.  Remote Admin accepts
command line arguments, so I can specify the machine,and the update rate
(which defaults to 100, but that bogs most client machines down. so I use
the command lines to specify a refresh rate of 10).  Now, when I use those
short cuts, the command window stays open until I close the Remote Admin
session.  I can close the window manually, but just like what you are trying
to do, it would be handy to have it close on it's own after firing the
intended program.

Sure enough, I just edited one of those batch files, and just put the word
start in front of the line that calls the remote admin program....whalla,
the command window closes on it's own, then Remote Administrator runs.....

Go figure....

Drew