[AccessD] OT: LCD Monitors for Development

Jim Dettman jimdettman at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 12 09:40:52 CST 2003

Myke,

  I have a 19" Dell CRT and a new 19" Dell LCD.  While the Dell LCD is nice,
it's not as good as it could be.  I've seen other brands that look better
(the dot pitch is a bit higher than it should be).

  As far as using two screens: wouldn't live without it<g>.

  A couple of points:

1. You get a lot more area on a LCD then a CRT. CRT tubes are measured on a
diagonal and the tube extends well beyond the shell, so you don't get what
you think your getting. On my 19" CRT, I end up with only 17" viewable.  On
a LCD, what's advertised is the viewable size (19" is 19").  So you may not
need as large of LCD as you think you might.

2. LCD's look good at only one specific resolution.  Ever other will appear
fuzzy.  My Dell 19" is best at 1280 x 1024, but I need to boost the font
size.  Otherwise, everything is too small even on a 19".

3. Don't adjust LCD's like you would CRT's in regard to refresh rate.  Most
LCD's work better at a *lower* rate then a higher one.  Let the graphics
card decide what's best for a given resolution (most have an auto adjust
type feature or optimal setting).

Jim Dettman
President,
Online Computer Services of WNY, Inc.