[AccessD] Slashdot: SQL vs Access for Learning Database Concepts?

John Bartow john at winhaven.net
Sat Dec 13 20:56:36 CST 2003

I would think of sticking to ANSI SQL and just touch on the various
proprietary implementations. That's pretty much how I learned SQL. It's
served me well. I think the various proprietary implementations could be an
elective course on their own.

I also second Arthur's comment, its not about what tool but what interface -
GUI or text based. Access has little to do with the discussion until you
decide you should use a GUI. Mentioning Access just polarizes the issue. I
learned using text base on Unix. I love the GUI but then that's not how I
learned it so I have a good reason for loving it :o)

JB

d&tid=146&tid=
185&tid=99

P.S.  About midway down in the reader postings, there are links to several
articles comparing the pros and cons of Access [SQL] to other SQL products.

Alan C. Lawhon