[AccessD] "Faked" replication

Steven W. Erbach serbach at new.rr.com
Thu Dec 18 09:49:09 CST 2003

Mark and everybody,

I appreciate the discussion this has generated, I really do. I've come to the conclusion that no-one on earth had tried FTP drop boxes for Indirect Synchronization...but I couldn't get a definitive answer!

Mark, standard Microsoft replication doesn't appear to be an option any longer UNLESS I can persuade my client that his far-flung employees come back to the home office periodically to synchronize their database copies with the master. I don't think he'll go for that. Telling him that he needs an IIS Server on-site to accomplish Indirect/Internet Synchronization is shaky for two reasons: 1) he won't want to pay for it, and 2) I've seen lots of comments to the effect that it isn't reliable and isn't to be trusted.

That blank record idea looked crazy enough to work at first...but it still doesn't address the fact that these laptops aren't connected to a network and my client doesn't have an IIS server.

Arthur Fuller came up with a couple of fine acronyms for the situation in which I find myself:

TWPWNRIS: Time-Wasting Problem With No Revenue In Sight
IIDSTQIT: If I Don't Solve This Quickly I'm Toast

Regards,

Steve Erbach
Scientific Marketing
Neenah, WI
920-969-0504

Message created with Bloomba

Disclaimer: No tree was killed in the transmission of this message. However, several coulombs of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.