[AccessD] MDBs vs SQL Server

Brett Barabash BBarabash at TappeConstruction.com
Mon Dec 29 16:00:50 CST 2003

2 all the way for me.

Given the choice of both DB platforms (which happens to be a luxury I enjoy
at this job), SQL Server almost always wins hands down.  About the only time
I use an MDB is for quick 'n' dirty single-user apps.

There are certainly valid reasons to continue using MDB files (ease of
deployment, price, low maintenance, price, ease of data access, price...).
But for a company that already uses SQL Server 2000 for 75% of its
applications, I can't find a compelling reason to use an MDB file instead.

The learning curve was fairly easy for me.  My biggest gripe was the lack of
good visual query design tools.  In this department, Access is light years
ahead of the view designer packaged with Enterprise Manager.

-----Original Message-----
From: John W. Colby [mailto:jcolby at colbyconsulting.com]
Sent: Monday, December 22, 2003 7:23 PM
To: AccessD
Subject: [AccessD] MDBs vs SQL Server

I'd like to conduct a non-scientific poll to discover what you folks use.
Please pick one of the numbers and respond to the list.

1) I use SQL Server for all my data.  I wouldn't touch an MDB BE with a 10
foot pole.
2) I use SQL Server mostly, but will touch an MDB BE with a 10 foot pole, as
long as I don't have to be responsible for the mess.
3) I have used SQL Server in at least one actual client system but my bread
and butter is made with MDB BEs.
4) I am fascinated with the possibilities of SQL server, have looked at it,
perhaps installed it at my office, but just don't have the call for it from
my clients.
5) What's this here SQL Server thangie?  All my database BEs are done with
MDBs.
6) I prefer to do my data stores in Excel spreadsheets, but if I must an MDB
is at least within my grasp.  SQL Server is for them big boys n they won't
talk to me.  I would still be using Borland's Reflex if I could get a copy -
now THERE's a REAL MAN'S database!!!

Just pick a number and put it in the first line of your response.

As for me, I am a 4.  I have SQL Server installed in my office, moved my
billing db to it in order to have a real live in use system using it, and
have regretted it ever since.  In fact I yanked the data back out into an
MDB last week after having to rebuild my system twice and then ending up
with torn pages in my SQL Server database.

they are addressed.
originator of the message. This footer also confirms that this
email message has been scanned for the presence of computer viruses.

states them to be the views of Tappe Construction Co.

Scanning of this message and addition of this footer is performed
by SurfControl E-mail Filter software in conjunction with
virus detection software.