[AccessD] Rights issue?

John Clark John.Clark at niagaracounty.com
Mon Feb 3 10:00:00 CST 2003

I am getting an error, when I am trying to relink tables in A97, but I
think they are misleading. I am getting the message, "You do not have
access to the folder '\\Nianet\NC' See your administrator for access to
this folder."

The problem w/this is that I am the assistant network administrator, as
well as a programmer, and it is my job to handle all network objects,
including user rights. Because of this, I am sure that I have total
rights to the entire system...I am an "Admin Role" user (Novell 5.1).
Also, If I go through MS Explorer, I have no problems...it only does
this via Access...Linked Table Manager and Open.

I also got this message earlier for the directory, "c:\Documents and
Settings\DefaultUser\My Documents\*.mdb". But, when I pressed "OK" on
the error, it went in anyhow.

What I am trying to do is to run some tests over our WAN. The
connections aren't huge...all of our servers are w/in five campuses
across the county, so from the furthest points, we're only talking about
25 miles. All of the programs that I have written have run from w/in a
single campus, and I had recently been wondering how they would run,
from one dept. to another. I decided to test them. First I ran an MDB
that was housed on another server about 4 miles away. Then, I created a
test environment that was indicative of how I normally do things (i.e.
FE on my PC linked to tables in a BE in a data directory on a server). I
moved this BE to the furthest server. I initially mapped a network drive
and it worked fine. However, I like to avoid mapped drives whenever
possilbe, so I intended to try linking via UNC (Universal Naming
Convention) today, and this is when these problems arose.

Does Access not recognize UNC? Or do I have something else going on,
which would account for the error also listing "...My Documents..." as
well?

Also, while I am on this subject, are there concerns (speed, stability,
etc.) with running things this way?

John W Clark