[AccessD] A2000 ADP record locking on bound form (Record locking a function of Access or SQL?)

Bob Smith flyonthewall2003a at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 13 14:06:00 CST 2003

Hi Everyone,

I really need some help with this. I posted this
question last night but I think in my rush to ask for
help, I worded my question poorly. I know on the
surface this looks lengthy but I hope someone will
read through it and reply back. I tried to reword
sections I now realize were not as clear as they could
have been.

If any of you are experienced with Client Server
development using MS Access 2000 and can afford to
take some time to read this, please do. I’m really
worried about this project. I’ve never done something
so update intensive before.

Basically at the core of my question is record
locking. I would like to use an Access 2000 ADP as the
front end of my SQL 2000 database for a project that
will be high volume data entry. They will only use the
application to enter new records. So if I bind a form
(set for Data Entry) to a table will I encounter
record locking errors even if no one will be
adding/editing the same records?

I am afraid that if I go the ADP bound form that I
will have issues even though no one will be working on
the same records. Does an Access 2000 ADP use page
locking with SQL like Access 2000 mdb does with Jet
(is the record locking a function of the database
system SQL2K/A2KJet or of Access)?

Can anyone comment on this? Below are the details of
my plight if you want to read what I am looking at and
what I am considering.

Thank you for any assistance or input you can provide.

Bob.

Details:

I need to put together an application that will track
orders and their details. This will be a SQL 2000
backend with a Server CAL of 35. The workstations will
all be Windows 2000 workstations with Access 2000 RT
minimum installed.

At the core of the application will be two tables. T01
houses the order specifics and T02 houses the order
details. There is a one-to-many relationship between
T01 and T02. Almost always there will be 1 record in
T01 for every 75 records in T02.

There will be 25 concurrent data entry personnel
entering new orders for about 8 hours straight. No one
will edit the same order simultaneously. Actually no
one except the supervisor will even look at it again
through the interface (and even then only 1 or 2
orders out of thousands per day). There will be a
handful of reports that will be used to view the
information. Run once at the end of the day (possibly
once in the middle while they are still working). As a
user enters an order and the 75 related order details
there is 0% chance that anyone else will edit that
order.

What I need help with is coming up with the design. I
have two in mind but I am not sure which to use. I am
hoping someone can tell me which would be the
appropriate one to use.

Design 1 (FE - mdb with two LOCAL tables):

Two local tables will hold the information for the
current order and detail information. After current
order has been entered the operator will click a
button that will fire off code to pass that data to
the SQL2K database on the server. After posting the
current order to the server database all data within
the local tables will be purged. So as they start on
the next order that order will be the only order
contained within the local tables. (I had considered
storing the current orders details within an array
instead of using local tables but if I go this route
storing the information within the tables would allow
the operator to shut off the computer if they needed
and then come back and pickup where they left off.)

This seems to be a common logical design, work local
and push when completed. What are the Pros and Cons of
this design?

Design 2 (ADP - bound form with sub form):

Bound form to T01 set for data entry. Bound sub form
to T02 set for data entry. This would be faster and
easier to create but I am worried about record
locking. Does Access use page locking with SQL like it
does with Jet (is the record locking a function of the
database system SQL2K/A2KJet or of Access)?

If it’s the database system since SQL uses true record
level locking, and since no one will ever be editing
the same orders, my understanding is that even though
25 people are keying, since no one is working on the
same records there should be no record locking issues?
What are the Pros and Cons of this design?

Can anyone give me a clear explanation as to why one
design or the other is more or less desirable? Design
two would be fast but will I hit a lot of record
locking issues even though no one will be working on
the same records?