[AccessD] Operation must use an updateable query

John W. Colby jcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Wed Feb 26 09:20:29 CST 2003

I have a database where a claim table has an event child table.  The event
table may have an event such as Open for a set of claims.  In order to
discover which claims have an open event I have a query that pulls out that
event and has the claim id exposed.  now I want to update a field in every
claim that has an open event (as an example).  Trying to do so generates the
infamous "Operation must use an updateable query".  this is one I have
banged into before and never really understood why I get it, not how to
reliably not get it.

Update a field in the parent table, if it has a related record in the child
table.  It sounds so simple.  How is it done?

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting