[AccessD] Cascade-delete

Gustav Brock gustav at cactus.dk
Sun Feb 2 08:47:00 CST 2003

Hi John

>>Further, I tell my clients that my responsibility is off if they deal with
>>the backend directly; never had a problem with that.

> Your users actually ADMIT when they screw up?  I wish I had such users.
> Mine say "No waaaaay I deleted that record.  It just disappeared!  The
> DATABASE is losing records!".

I must be lucky. My clients use the intended frontend where they can
delete what they are supposed to be delete and nothing else.

>>which is where a decent backup is pulled from the shelf.

> With a database, unlike an office install, you can't just restore a backup.
> If the missing data was deleted a month ago, you have to FIND the data.  If
> you just restore the database from a month ago you delete all data entered
> since.

I was only talking about that situation where a user does something
with a dramatic and non-intended effect like deleting all statistics
or cleaning up an old financial year. This will be obvious
immediately, and you are left with three options: leave it as is,
restore from a backup, or append the deleted/corrupted data from a
backup. This - the third option - may not be that complicated or it
may be very complicated. What to choose is not to say - that depends.

But for some lucky ones like me, this is hypothetic. My users just
don't fiddle with the backend.

[snip]

> Please don't allow our list members to believe that they can "just restore a
> backup" to fix what they screwed up by not doing things correctly.

Oh John, I don't think they believe that; and I'm sure they know
neither is this my message.

/gustav