[AccessD] Estimating Help

Susan Harkins harkins at iglou.com
Mon Feb 3 11:13:00 CST 2003

Comes down to how much data entry control the app needs I guess. I suppose
you could write a procedure that eliminates a lot of the errors but
educating the data entry operators makes more sense. If the app won't take
the record, get help. :) It is the one flaw that really hurts with no
logical way to remedy it other than good training. You just can't program in
every mistake they might possibly make.

I think a cleanup routine would be a good idea, and I've thought alot about
it, but haven't actually done anything. You create a number of queries to
report on the data discrepancies and train someone well enough to make
competent, intelligent decisions about what gets changed.

However, back to the training -- use to teach a course on data entry, batch
operations, all that and the very best thing you can do to protect your data
is to draw up rules and train the operators to enter things correctly.
Everyone enters Street or St. -- pick one and stick with it, everyone enters
PO or P.O. -- pick one and stick with it -- and train them to enter it
correctly. Then, when an operator has trouble, they get help -- and that's
when the developer can go back in and improve the data entry logic -- one
possibility at a time. Nothing beats good training.

Susan H.