[AccessD] .net

Francisco H Tapia my.lists at verizon.net
Tue Feb 4 10:52:01 CST 2003

AFAIK, MS never claimed for Sql Server or MSDE to be 'maintenance-free', and
they 'are' easier to use when compared to Oracle or DB2, and for that matter
even mySQL.  While all engines, are simple and straightforward, (after you
read the documentation) they all have their own level of complexity.  JET,
for example crumbles under the load of Memo fields.  There is also 0
recoverability from a damaged .mdb file, if you MDB gets corrupt and the MS
tools can't fix it, you are generally dead in the water.  Sql Server and
other big brand engines provide for up to the point of failure
recoverability.  In order to use SqlServer or MSDE it does involve a great
deal of learning the product, but I think it's just the same as when we all
started down the road with JET.

-Francisco
http://rcm.netfirms.com